The UN-REDD Programme announced the launch of a new tool to support REDD+ countries to: a) assess the social and environmental risks and benefits associated with potential REDD+ actions,also known as candidate Policies and Measures, and b) analyse how existing policies, laws and regulations (PLRs) address the Cancun safeguards.
The UN-REDD Programme’s tools and guidance are designed to enable REDD+ countries to take a flexible “country approach” in responding to the Cancun safeguards and other related UNFCCC decisions. This approach is intended to minimize, mitigate and manage social and environmental risks and impacts and enhance the benefits of REDD+. It has two key components: (1) PLRs through which safeguards are addressed and respected and (2) a safeguards information system, for the collection and provision of information on how the Cancun safeguards are being addressed and respected throughout the implementation of REDD+ activities.
The Programme’s revamped Benefits and Risks Tool (BeRT) is designed to support countries to:
- Identify benefits and risks associated with REDD+ actions, in the context of the Cancun safeguards
- Determine how the country’s existing PLRs already address the risks or promote the benefits identified
- Identify gaps in the PLR framework that may need to be addressed in order to address and respect the Cancun safeguards in REDD+ implementation.
- Utilize information on the benefits and risks of specific REDD+ actions/options to inform decisions on which actions to include in the REDD+ strategy.
- Provide content for use in the summary of information on how countries are addressing and respecting the safeguards through existing PLRs.
For more information, click here.
For access to user guide through the e-library, click here.